Dr. Brandt, a Partner at HealthCare Appraisers, has more than 25 years of healthcare experience as a strategist, consultant, clinician, professor and author within healthcare and life sciences industries. During the past 12 years, Dr. Brandt has focused exclusively on healthcare valuation, concentrating on management and co-management arrangements, hospital quality and efficiency programs, the design of performance improvement incentives and compensation arrangements within the life sciences industry.
As the leader the life sciences service line at HealthCare Appraisers, Dr. Brandt works with pharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device companies regarding a broad range of valuation projects. Dr. Brandt and her team of valuation experts have significant experience in valuing compensation arrangements (HCP and KOL) data acquisition/sales arrangements, and clinical trials arrangements as well as intellectual property, royalty and licensing arrangements.
Dr. Brandt is a frequent speaker and has authored articles and book chapters on a variety of healthcare valuation topics.
Publications and Presentations
- Brandt, A.S., Compensation in an Age of Transparency, AHLA Connections, December 2016, Volume 20, Issue 12.
- Mini Summit Panel Moderator – Compliance Considerations when Evaluating Non-Traditional HCP Compensation Arrangements: Royalties, Stock Options, and Licensing Agreements, with Stuart Neiberg, MAcc, CPA, CFA, Director, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., and Lee Rosebush, Esq, Partner, BakerHostetler, Pharmaceutical Regulatory and Compliance Congress 2015, Mandarin Oriental, Washington, DC, October 21-23, 2015.
- Panel Discussion Member – Did Sunshine Bring Transparency?, with Laure Le Calvé, Avocat associée, LHC, Austin Byrd, VP, Chief Compliance Officer, Spectranetics, and Frederick Robinson, Partner, Norton Rose Fulbright, moderator. Global MedTech Compliance Conference 2015, May 19-21, 2015, Athens, Greece.
- Brandt, A.S., The Next Evolution of the Co-Management Arrangement, White Paper, Becker’s Hospital Review (Web edition), November 12, 2014.
- Presentation – Nuances of Setting Global Compensation Rates, R-Squared Compliance Conference, Princeton, NJ, October 27-28, 2014.
- Webinar Co-presenter with Jan E. Murray, Esq., Of Counsel, Foley & Lardner, LLP and Colleen Evans, Global Commercial Compliance Manager, GE Healthcare – Regulatory and Operational Issues in Implementing Global Enterprise-Wide HCP Compensation Plans in the Life Sciences, March 19, 2014.
- Brandt, A.S., Life Sciences Compensation: Valuation in the Age of Transparency, Valuation Strategies. Thomson Reuters: March/April, 2014.
- Hospital Service Line Co-Management Arrangements: Achieving Efficiency and Quality through Hospital/Physician Alignment, featured expert with Jamie McIntyre, JD, Manager, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc. Becker’s Hospital Review (Web edition), February 26, 2014.
- Brandt, A.S., Fair Market Value and Compensation Arrangements in an Age of Transparency, White Paper, October 2013.
- Webinar Co-presenter with Danielle Drissel, Esq., Hogan Lovells US – Physician Services Arrangements with Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Companies, hosted by Strafford Publishing & Webinars, July 29, 2012.
- Brandt, A.S., Valuing Physician Compensation in the Life Sciences, BVR/AHLA Guide to Healthcare Industry Compensation and Valuation, Business Valuation Resources, LLC, and the American Health Lawyers Association, December, 2012.
- Brandt, A.S., contributing expert, Case Study 3 – How HealthCare Appraisers Determines Physicians’ Remuneration, Advisory Committees and Speaker Bureaux Ensuring Compliance – a FirstWord Dossier Report, Doctor’s Guide Publishing Limited, October, 2012.
- Fair Market Value: Ensuring Compliance within the Life Sciences Industry (with Jason L. Ruchaber, CFA, ASA, Partner, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc.), BVR’s Guide to Healthcare Valuation 2012 Edition, Business Valuation Resources, LLC, May 2012.
- Webinar Co-presenter with Jason L. Ruchaber, ASA, CFA, Partner, and Timothy R. Smith, CPA/ABV, Director, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc. – Fair Market Value – Ensuring Compliance in the Life Sciences, Webinar hosted by Business Valuation Resources, August 23, 2011.
- Webinar Co-presenter with Gregory D. Anderson, CPA/ABV, CVA, Horne, LLP – Valuing Clinical Co-Management Agreements, Online Symposium on Healthcare Valuation: Part 6, hosted by Business Valuation Resources, June 14, 2011.
- Brandt, A.S., contributing expert, Co-Management Is a Hot New Trend in Physician Ventures, But Beware Stark Risks, Report on Medicare Compliance, Published by Atlantic Information Services, Inc., Washington, DC, Volume 20, Number 12, April 4, 2011.
- Brandt, A.S., contributing expert, All aboard: At St. John, co-management gives physicians stake in services, Crain’s Detroit Business (Web edition), March 13, 2011.
- Webinar panel discussion member with Kevin McAnaney, OIG, and Allen Waxman, former General Counsel-Pfizer – Fair Market Value Assessments – Best Practices for Developing Compliance Strategies. Gerson Lehrman Group Webcast, March 2, 2011.
- Brandt, A.S., Safriet, S.M. – Fair Market Value and the Continuing Evolution of Service Line Co-Management, AHLA Connections, Volume 15, Issue 1, January 2011.
- Co-presenter with Scott Safriet, AVA, MBA, Principal, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc. – Determining the FMV of Thought Leader Compensation in the Life Sciences Industry. Compliance Webinar hosted by Pilgrim Software. September 29, 2009.
- Determining “Fair Market Value” for Physician Consulting Services: The New ‘Big Question’ for Life Sciences Companies, (with Andrea M. Ferrari, JD, MPH, and Scott Safriet, MBA, AVA), Life Sciences (a publication of the American Health Lawyers Association Life Sciences Practice Group), Volume 3, Issue 1, April, 2009.
- Brandt, A.S., Johnson, D.P. – Fair Market Value – With no formal fair market value guidelines imposed by the government, how “fair” is it for pharma to play by the rules?, Pharmaceutical Executive, January, 2009.
- Brandt, A.S., Ruchaber, J.L. & Smith, T.R. Fair Market Value: Ensuring Compliance within the Life Sciences Industry, BVR’s Guide to Healthcare Valuation 2009 Edition, Business Valuation Resources, LLC, November, 2008.
- Panel Discussion, Ann S. Brandt, Moderator – Balancing the Industry’s Needs with Compliant Compensation Arrangements for Center for Business Intelligence Bio-Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Forum on Creating Compliant Compensation Arrangements with Physicians and Hospitals, Vienna, VA, October 15, 2008.
- Presentation by Ann S. Brandt – Determining Fair Market Value of Thought Leader Compensation. Center for Business Intelligence, Pharmaceutical Marketing Compliance Congress, January 29, 2008, Washington, D.C.
- Brandt, A.S. & Hutzler, A.D. Valuation of Physician Consultant Arrangements: Ensuring Compliance within the Pharmaceutical Industry. White Paper, 2008.
- Brandt, A.S., Johnson, D.P. & Safriet, S.M. Valuation of Co-Management Arrangements: Achieving Operational and Quality Improvements through Hospital / Physician Partnerships. Health Lawyers Weekly (a publication of the American Health Lawyers Association), Vol. 4, No. 37, Sept 21, 2007.
- Brandt, A.S. Operationally Defining Goals: Critical to Achieving Success. South Florida Hospital News, January 2007.
Dr. Brandt is involved in a broad range of healthcare valuation analyses, including:
- Management and co-management arrangements
- Hospital quality and efficiency program (“HQEP” or “HEP”) arrangements
- Healthcare professional (HCP) and key opinion leader (KOL) compensation arrangements
- Clinical trials and data licensure arrangements
- Valuation calculators
- American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA)
- Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS)
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- Texas Woman’s University, Denton, Ph.D. Psychology, Collateral field: Applied Statistics (received a full fellowship)
- University of Maine, Orono, BA in Psychology
Prior Professional Affiliations
- Senior Consultant, IBM Healthlink Solutions, Houston, TX.
- Director of Market Solutions and Strategic Partnerships, Eclipsys Corporation, Boca Raton, FL.
- Senior Manager, Global Markets, Lucent Technologies, Warren, NJ.
- Senior Manager, Strategic Market Development. XACCT Technologies, Santa Clara, CA
- Management Consultant, Touche Ross, Miami, FL
- Industry Consultant-Healthcare, AT&T, Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
- Department Chair and Associate Professor, Graduate Program in Gerontology, Nova Southeastern University, Ft. Lauderdale, FL.