Mr. Lara is a Partner of HealthCare Appraisers and heads the Firm’s Philadelphia office. He has more than fifteen years of fulltime healthcare valuation experience, focusing on complex compensation arrangements which may have Stark and/or Anti-Kickback implications and business valuation. As one of the Firm’s first fulltime employees, Mr. Lara has gained exposure to every type of analysis that the Firm provides to clients, and he has been instrumental in developing the Firm’s internal standards and templates.
Prior to joining HealthCare Appraisers, Mr. Lara worked for a private equity consulting firm where he was responsible for facilitating capital-raising efforts (equity, senior and subordinated debt) by providing financial modeling and transaction due diligence functions. Previously, Mr. Lara worked for a corporate development advisory firm focused on middle-market companies where he was responsible for conducting valuation and on-site due diligence related to physician practice and service company acquisitions. Mr. Lara began his career as a Securities Compliance Examiner with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission.
Mr. Lara is an active member of the American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA), where he formerly served as the Chair of the FMV Affinity Group. He is a CFA charterholder, an Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA) and a Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA).
Publications and Presentations
- Valuing Electronic Health Record System (“EHR”) Donation Arrangements, co-authored with David Sands, CVA, Manager, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., FMVantage Point, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., November 2016.
- Webinar – Medicare’s New and Clarified Rules: Per Click and Lithotripsy, Why Does FMV Matter, co-presented with Ann Bittinger, Esq., Attorney, The Bittinger Law Firm, and Tizgel High, Esq., VP, Associate General Counsel, LifePoint Health, hosted by the FMV Affinity Group of the American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA), November 2, 2016.
- What to Look for Beyond EBITDA, featured expert, The Ambulatory M&A Advisor, September 16, 2015.
- Presentation – Healthcare Valuation: Fundamentals & Common Pitfalls, Philadelphia Bar Association-Health Law Committee Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, October 10, 2014.
- Webinar – Structuring Healthcare Practice Leasing, PSA and Other Practice Alignment Arrangements, co-presented with Michael Blau, Esq., Partner, Foley & Lardner, LLP, hosted by Strafford Legal Webinars, August 28, 2014.
- Presentation – Straightening Out Your Alignment: An Overview of Hospital/Physician Practice Alignment Transactions, co-presented with John R. Washlick, Esq., Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney, Pennsylvania Bar Institute – 20th Annual Health Law Institute, Philadelphia, PA, March 13-14, 2014.
- Chapter D: Straightening Out Your Alignment: An Overview of Hospital/Physician Practice Alignment Transactions, co-authored with John R. Washlick, Esq., Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney, PC, 20th Health Law Institute Volume 1, March 2014.
- Impact of Ownership Details for Fixed Asset Appraisal, co-authored with Cary C. Kao, ASA, MRICS, Manager, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., FMVantage Point, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., March 2014.
- 7 Key Components of Employee Leasing Arrangements, featured expert, Becker’s Hospital Review (Web edition), November 13, 2013.
- Expiration of the “Grandfather Provision” for Anatomic Pathology, co-authored with Richard Chasinoff, MBA, MHA, CVA, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., Hospitals & Health Systems RX,
(a publication of the AHLA Hospitals and Health Systems Practice Group), Vol. 15, No. 1, April 2013.
- Webinar – Addressing Fair Market Value in hospital and physician integration, co-presenter with Barry D. Alexander, JD, Partner, Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough, LLP. Hosted by Health Care Compliance Association, January 30, 2013.
- Hospitals Navigate Fair Market Value Under Stark, contributing expert, Report on Medicare Compliance, Published by Atlantic Information Services, Inc., Washington, DC, Volume 20, Number 29, Aug 15, 2011.
- AHLA Teleconference – Featured speaker, Fred M. Lara, Healthcare Compensation Valuation: In-Depth Case Studies Highlighting Common Healthcare Compensation Valuation Considerations, March 4, 2008
- AHLA Teleconference – Featured speaker, Fred M. Lara, What Counsel Should Be Alert To During The Valuation Process, December 5, 2007
- Stipends for Stroke Call Create New Pressures, Demands and Neurologists, Fred M. Lara, contributing expert. Neurology Today, April 4, 2006
Mr. Lara is involved in multiple aspects of healthcare valuation analysis, including:
- Business Valuation
- Equipment, staff and “block” lease arrangements
- Collections Guarantee arrangements
- Medical director/Part A/thought leader compensation
- Compensated call coverage
- Service and management agreements
- Physician employment arrangements
- Litigation Support
- National Association of Certified Valuators & Analysts (NACVA)
- American Society of Appraisers (ASA)
- American Health Lawyers Association
- CFA Society of South Florida
- Villanova University, BS, Finance (with honors)
Prior Professional Affiliations
- CD Ventures, Berwyn, PA
- Acquisition Management Services, King of Prussia, PA
- United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Philadelphia, PA
- Chartered Financial Analyst, CFA Institute
- Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA), American Society of Appraisers (2009)
Designation: Business Valuation
- Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA), National Association of Certified Valuators & Analysts