Mr. Argueso is a Partner in HealthCare Appraisers’ Colorado office, where his area of practice involves the appraisal of healthcare businesses and the valuation of healthcare provider compensation relationships. He has been providing valuation and consulting services since 2008. Mr. Argueso is a national subject matter expert in the valuation of compensation arrangements between hospitals and medical groups which staff and medically direct hospital-based service lines such as: anesthesiology, emergency, hospitalist, and radiology departments. He also is a thought leader in the fair market value and commercial reasonableness of telemedicine businesses and service arrangements. Based on this expertise, Mr. Argueso has provided consulting to clients for improving the efficiency, quality, and compliance of telemedicine and hospital-based service arrangements.
Mr. Argueso’s background in economics has led to experience in consulting work involving the analysis of the economic impact of various healthcare businesses and needs assessments for healthcare professionals and service lines. In addition, Mr. Argueso has experience in providing litigation support services for healthcare entities.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Argueso worked at a leading investment firm developing projects to improve internal efficiency and database management. Mr. Argueso holds a Bachelor’s degree in Economics from Princeton University.
Publications and Presentations
- FMVantage Point: Avoid Cost Landmines: Assessing Trends in Payments for Hospital-Based Physician Services, September 20, 2018
- FMVantage Point: Impact of Proposed CMS Changes to Telemedicine Reimbursement, July 25, 2018
- You’ve got patients! A Case Study in Fair Market Value and Commercial Reasonableness: Considerations for Attorneys Evaluating Telemedicine, ABA Health eSource, Volume 14 Number 9, May 2018.
- FMVantage Point: Telemedicine Industry Trends: Compensation Structure, May 15, 2018.
- FMVantage Point: President Trump, The Opioid Crisis, and Fair Market Value, October 31, 2017.
- FMVantage Point: New York Times Highlights Challenges for Hospital Based Service Lines, August 10, 2017.
- The Growth of Specialized Hospitalist Programs – A Valuator’s Perspective, co-authored with Todd Mello, ASA, CVA, MBA, Partner, Becker’s Hospital Review (Web edition), May, 2015.
- 24/7/365 Options for Physician Coverage, featured story with Todd Mello, ASA, CVA, MBA, Partner, and Nicholas Newsad, MHSA, Senior Associate, HealthCare Appraisers, Inc., Strategic Financial Planning (Web edition), Healthcare Financial Management Association: Westchester, IL, October 17, 2013.
- Can Your ASC Benefit from a Loan Guarantee Arrangement? Co-authored with Jim D. Carr, ASA, MBA, Partner, Becker’s ASC Review (Web edition), September 2, 2010.
- Presentation – Maximizing the Value of Your Payments to Hospital-Based Service Providers, with Robert Stiefel, MD. HFMA Mid-Winter Conference – January 28-30, 2019.
- Webinar – Stop the Bleed: Triaging Hospital-Based Services Arrangements, presentation with MD Ranger, October 4, 2018.
- Presentation – Proactive to Reactive: Resources for Improving the Value of Your ASC, with Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA. Becker’s 16th Annual Future of Spine + The Spine, Orthopedic and Pain Management-Driven ASC Conference, June 14-16, 2018.
- Webinar – Fair Market Value and Telemedicine Service Arrangements, presentation with Thomas (TJ) Ferrante from Foley & Lardner LLP, May 22, 2018.
Mr. Argueso is involved in all aspects of healthcare valuation analysis, including:
- Hospital-based specialty collections guarantees and subsidies
- Telemedicine compensation arrangements involving a variety of models (e.g., hub-and-spoke) and service lines (e.g., eICU, tele-neurology/stroke, tele-psychiatry, and pediatric subspecialties)
- Medical director/thought leader compensation
- Compensated call coverage
- Physician employment and independent contractor agreements
- Management services arrangements
- Business valuation of physician practices/clinics, telemedicine companies, ambulatory surgery centers, imaging centers, and hospitals/hospital departments
- Princeton University, B.A. in Economics