Matthew Muller is a director in HealthCare Appraisers’ Denver office, where he has been providing his clients analysis and consultation in business valuation, intellectual property, litigation support, and healthcare provider compensation relationships since 2010. His experience includes working with healthcare organizations, attorneys, administrators, providers, developers, consultants, investment bankers, and private equity groups in connection with transactions in the healthcare industry. Many of the transactions he analyzes involve Stark, Anti-Kickback, IRC 501(c)(3), and/or other regulatory implications, which requires analysis of fair market value and the determination of commercial reasonableness.
Mr. Muller is an Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA) in Business Valuation through the American Society of Appraisers, and is Vice President of the Denver Chapter of the American Society of Appraisers. He holds a Bachelor of Business Administration from the Seidman College of Business at Grand Valley State University.
- 2019 ASC Valuation and Transaction Trends, Ambulatory Surgery Center Association (ASCA) 2019 Conference & Expo, Nashville, TN, May 15, 2019
- Telemedicine and Its Impact on Appraisals, (co-presented with Kevin Cassell), American Society of Appraisers – Denver Chapter Meeting, Denver, CO, March 12, 2019.
- Key Thoughts on ASC Valuations, (co-presented with David Walline, ASA), Becker’s ASC 24th Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, October 26th, 2017.
- 2019 ASC Benchmarking Survey, Summer 2019
- 2019 ASC Valuation Survey, Spring 2019
- 2018 Valuation Survey Physician-Owned Hospitals (co-author with Nicholas J. Janiga, ASA) Fall 2018.
- Second Opinions Are Not Just for Patients: The Benefits of an Appraisal Review, FMVantage Point (Web edition), October 9, 2018.
- Recent Trends Affecting the Value of ASCs, (co-author with Nicholas Janiga), ASC Physician Focus, Summer/Fall 2018, Vol. 2, No. 2.
- The Importance of Appraisal Review in the Transaction Process, (co-author with Nicholas Janiga, ASA) FMVantagePoint (Web edition), August 30, 2017.
- 6 Reasons to Hire an Expert to Value Diagnostic Imaging Centers, FMVantagePoint (Web edition), August 22, 2017.
- Increasing the Value of an ASC, featured expert, The Ambulatory M&A Advisor, May 2, 2016.
- Mistakes to avoid when acquiring physician practices: Operations and integration, (co-author with Nicholas Janiga, ASA) Healthcare Finance News (Web edition), November 5, 2013.
- Mistakes to avoid when acquiring physician practices: Costs and expectations, (co-author with Nicholas Janiga, ASA), Healthcare Finance News (Web edition), October 30, 2013.
- 7 Common Reasons for Hospital Transactions (co-author with Nicholas Janiga, ASA), Becker’s Hospital Review (Web edition). May 16, 2013.
Mr. Muller is involved in all aspects of healthcare valuation analysis, including:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Joint ventures
- Shareholder buy-in/buy-out
- Corporate planning
- Purchase price allocations
- Appraisal review
- Physician employment agreements
- Medical director/thought leader roles
- Call coverage arrangements
- Certificates of need
- Trade names
- Marital dissolution
- Shareholder disputes
- Transaction due diligence
- Financial and operational analyses
- Market studies
- American Society of Appraisers (ASA)
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Finance
- Seidman College of Business at Grand Valley State University, Grand Rapids, MI
Appraisal and Professional Education
- American Society of Appraisers’ 30-hour course, BV301: Valuation of Intangible Assets (September 2016)
- American Society of Appraisers’ 30-hour course, BV204: Advanced Topics in Business Valuation (January 2014)
- Certificate Program in Accounting at Metropolitan State University of Denver (2013)
- American Society of Appraisers’ 30-hour course, BV203: Business Valuation Case Study (June 2012)
- American Society of Appraisers’ 30-hour course, BV202: Introduction to Business Valuation Part II (January 2012)
- American Society of Appraisers’ 15-hour course, SE100: Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (“USPAP”) (October 2011)
- American Society of Appraisers’ Ethics Exam (June 2011)
- American Society of Appraisers’ 30-hour course, BV201: Introduction to Business Valuation Part I (January 2011)
- Level 1 of the Chartered Financial Analyst program (2007)
Prior Professional Affiliations
- Senior Commercial Credit Analyst, PNC Bank
- Commercial Credit Analyst, Bank of America
- Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA) in Business Valuation, American Society of Appraisers (June 2015)